February 7, 2008

Free Speech

I don't know if you've followed the story of Berkeley, California drafting a letter to the Marine recruiters they were not only unwanted, but called them intruders... some US Senators decided to push back and remove public funding from Berkeley and send the money to benefit Marine causes.

Berkeley officials have backed off, but I thought this quote was interesting, from a "Code Pink" protester:
"I was under the impression that we have the right of free speech," said Xanne Joi of Code Pink. "To me, I thought free speech meant you get to say what you want without recrimination."

Where did Xanne go to school? The First Amendment doesn't protect you from recrimination, it protects your right to say whatever you want. She might have noticed this each time her cohorts get arrested for screaming confrontations during Congressional Hearings.

No comments: