September 7, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle has Died

Madeleine L'Engle, the author of "A Wrinkle in Time," "A Swiftly Tilting Planet," "A Wind in the Door," "Many Waters" and so many, many other books for young adults has passed away.

Mrs. Kennedy stocked "A Wrinkle in Time" in the Ossian library, where I first encountered it. I read it, ordered my own copy, brought it home for my sister to read -- and later read it aloud to each of my children... in fact, I fed them the lines and they took on the parts of the book and made a play of it.

I would be hard pressed to find another author who has affected so many middle school kids -- and kids at heart -- over the years. Her books will live forever. She was a wonderful author and an amazing, adventurous parent.

Peace, and God's speed, Ms. L'Engle.

No comments: