October 22, 2007

Kayla Sweet 2nd in Semi-State

Norwell's Kayla Sweet ran 2nd in the New Haven Semi-State. Both the boys and girls meets were won by freshman from Carroll. Yowsa.

Update: The Banner covers Kayla Sweet

“After the first mile, I was struggling a little because I had a rock in my foot,” said a glowing Sweet after her race. “I was in I think 12th at the time, and I didn’t think I would move up or anything, but I just kept with it, started passing some people and didn’t quit until the end.”

With about a half mile to go, Sweet was running in seventh place, but quickly turned on the jets down the final homestretch, and when DeKalb’s Autumn Beachy fell only 10 feet from the finish line and Sweet ran past her into the chute. You could hear her Norwell teammates and fans cheering and shouting all the way back in Ossian.

What made her accomplishment even more amazing is that from the first mile marker on, she was running with a sharp rock protruding through her cleat into her right foot, causing her excruciating pain.


What a great race for Ms. Sweet! And now she heads to the State.

Note: Kudo's to the Bluffton Banner for their continuing, wonderful sports coverage. It always surprises me that the Fort Wayne papers don't do more in-depth local sports coverage -- that would help their sales sooo much.

No comments: