August 21, 2007

Steffey Rests

Both my sons were attending Purdue in West Lafayette when freshman Wade Steffey went missing, only to be found two months later in an electrical utility room. It was after hours and he was trying to find an alternate way into a dorm where he had left his coat when he found a wrong door open. His family settled its lawsuit with Purdue today.

I don't know what to say, really. Of course that door should have been locked and of course Purdue was at fault. It's hard to step back and see anything else but a young man's life cut short, but it currently costs approximately $15,000.00 a year to attend Purdue and it isn't the Congressmen or the Professors or the Administrators who are going to pay the $600,000 settlement -- it's the students and the parents and the tax payers. I'm not sure how much, if any, of the settlement will be covered by Purdue's insurance policies, but I'm sure rates will go up to cover the loss.

And what would I have done different if it had been my son? I'd rather not think about it.

Update: Steffey Family Statement

No comments: