June 6, 2011

We Seven, Were Seven, Several Years Ago

That's a picture of the Space Shuttle Atlantis in the Assembly Building above, and Alan Shepard the first American in space and the launch of Mercury 1... Atlantis will be the last space shuttle that will ever blast off into space sometime around July 8th, 2011.  I like the shuttle picture.  It's a shadowy version of the shuttle in close quarters... suitable for the dirge of the last shuttle flight.  After the Atlantis launch the United States goes manned-mission dark.  For the first time since Project Mercury began, in 1959, we will have no manned space program.

I find that chilling.  I can remember, back in the 60's, I had a child's plastic slide projector.  There were 3 or 4 slides on each panel and you'd push them through to see the image projected on your wall... I had one of Alan Shepard in his silver spacesuit preparing for launch in, what was it called?  Freedom 7.  America's first man in space on May 5, 1961.

"Well Done, My Good And Faithful Servant"  Matthew 25:21

No comments: